The pituitary gland secretes a peptide hormone which is known as Somototropin. It is the natural growth hormone secreted by the pituitary gland. This hormone helps in cell reproduction and growth. This article concentrates on the human growth hormone treatment which is popularly known as Human growth hormone therapy. It is the process of treating human beings with biosynthetic growth hormone for various ailments, resulted from the growth hormone deficiency .The hormone is injected into the blood, by penetrating deep into the subcutaneous muscle or tissue as growth hormone is a big peptide molecule.
Biosynthetic human growth hormone
In the beginning, the extraction of growth hormone was done from the human pituitary glands. This extracted human growth hormone is known as Cadaver growth hormone.
The Cadaver growth hormone was used in the therapy of deficient children during 1960 to 1985. In 1985, as this was associated with Creutzfeldt - Jakob disease, and its usage was withdrawn. Now growth hormone is created from recombinant DNA technology and used in human growth hormone therapy for various conditions.
Human growth hormone therapy is conducted for below mentioned conditions:
- The human growth hormone therapy is used for the treatment of Turner syndrome that is non-deficient shortness.
- The therapy is used in the treatment of Prader-willi syndrome. Children suffering from this syndrome can gain height, body mass, strength, weight and agility.
- The therapy is beneficial in the treatment of intrauterine growth retardation in children.
- The condition in children with highly unexplained shortness that results in the adult height of 3rd percentile can also be treated by growth hormone therapy.
- 6. Therapy can be used to treat Noonan syndrome and other genetic syndromes which results as shortness in children.
- The dwarf ness condition in children due to bone dysplasia can also be treated with the growth hormone therapy.
- Many athletes undergo human growth hormone therapy for strength, fast recovery and power.
- This is also used in the treatment of obesity.
- Growth hormone therapy is given to accelerate healing of large burns by reducing the protein breakdown in the early post-injury period.
Benefits of human growth hormone therapy
- Within months of treatment, deficient child will start growing faster.
- Increased strength.
- Progress in motor development.
- Reduction in body fat.
- Improved bone density.
- Strong immune system.
- Strengthened circulatory system.
- Quicker hair and nail growth.
- Any effects of aging can be delayed.
Cost of human growth hormone therapy in terms of effort, money and quality of life is substantial.
Risks associated with human growth hormone therapy
The risks associated with long term human growth hormone therapy are not clearly known. Occasional joint pains are experienced by the patients under going growth hormone therapy. Edema and fluid retention in the beginning months of treatment is rare in case of children but common and severe in case of adults. Under any conditions doctor is the best judge.